Sunday, July 7, 2013

Two Miracles

Dear Friends,

A week ago, John and I visited the Krishna Temple in Dallas. Two miracles happened. John had not taken his shoes off in a public place for two years because of a serious foot condition. He finally took them off at the temple. This gesture represented a healing of both his foot and his inner state as well a sign of surrender to the Divine.

The second miracle happened to my state of mind. Almost everyone in the temple was standing, chanting different sanskrit slokas, and some people begin to dance to the rhythm of the drumming. I jumped in and then suddenly found myself bounding up and down and dancing in a circle around the drummers, singing:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Ram Hare Hare

As we whirled around, someone launched my body high in the air, and I became quite happy. The dancing and chanting was mesmerizing. As the chanting slowed, I walked over to John and stood for a while, and suddenly the mind plunged into a deep meditation. I nearly fell over, and in that moment, I realized that dancing can take someone to other realms of being. In the past, dancing had been associated with awkwardness and resistance. Now it became a key to unlock transcendental states of peace and love.

Today I visited the Dallas Meditation Center. Entering the main room, I immediately fell into a deeply peaceful meditation. Then we rose from our seats and began to do a walking meditation around the room. I focused on each small step, slowly walking around the perimeter of the room, being mindful of the breath. This focused action plunged my mind into a deep state of consciousness that almost caused my body to fall over. Never had I experienced such a profound state in the midst of walking. It shattered my beliefs about this method of meditation. New possibilities open now.

There are many ways to walk the Path. Let me try them and see what happens.

With love,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment