Friday, September 20, 2013

Insecurity

Dear Friends,
   Recently I was speaking to a woman about why "bad" things happen to people. I said that the world revolves around karma. If you have done good, good will come to you. If you have done bad, bad will come to you. Her voice started to rise. "Well, what about the girl who is put into a prostitution situation when she is very young. Do you believe she deserves it?" "Well," I said, "in this case it would be best to bring compassion to the situation." "But you believe in karma," she said. "I'm not interested in arguing about it. In this situation, it would be nice to bring compassion and let go of the karma idea right now."
    I found the feeling of insecurity and fear coming up in my being. I wanted her approval and found that I was striving to get that approval the entire time I was visiting her. Even just a warm nod or the word "yes." Approval would somehow fill a void inside that said, "Maybe I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. I really want to hear approval from the outside world. Then I'll be whole and complete. If she likes me, I can like myself." Why did I want to convince her? Because I want to feel right. I want agreement. Then it would alleviate the feeling inside that says, "I'm wrong. I'm scared if others discover that."
     I also fear "attack." If someone reprimands me for what I've said, I feel like I've been a "bad boy." So I spend time always trying to appease the one who does not approve. I never talk back. In fact, my being usually shuts down and shirks in the face of "attack."
    I am very happy to meet this woman. If I surrounded myself with people who always agreed with what I said, these deeper feelings of insecurity and fear would never come to the surface to release. So she became the key to unlock a deeper part of the mind that I would need to see sooner or later.
    Oh Lord, please bring these challenges to me so that I may face my fears and insecurities. Otherwise, I will not be able to see You clearly. Oh Lord, I am ready to face my deepest darkness. Thank you for your Grace.

With love,
Brian

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful prayer. May I, and we all pray for this with sincerity and humility.
    I love you my brother. I look forward to the time we can see each other again. In the meantime - Je t'embrace. With love,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete