Thursday, May 1, 2014

Satsang for Children

Dear Friends,

In New York, I was invited to join a Kid's Series to hold satsang for the children. Upon arriving, I was greeted by a cheerful woman who said she had come to see me with her son, Martin. Martin appeared to be 9 years old, his mind in the state of a very young child. The woman wanted healing for her son. I said hello to Martin, and he greeted me after a prompting from his mother. I gave her a mantra to help heal his mind and brain and awaken his third eye. We talked a bit.

Then the kids came in and we all sat down to satsang. I didn't have any plans. I played the harmonium and sang with them. One of the children, a girl of about 6 years, put her head on my leg and hugged me. Another poked at the harmonium, trying to pump more air into it. The others were fidgeting and singing along, "Hari Om, Hari Om." Then we all did a gibberish meditation, talking nonsense words for about a minute before they started to get tired of it. After singing "Sia Ram" together, Bernadette, the facilitator who had been doing a healing for Martin, said, "I feel angels with us during that mantra!" Then I introduced the mantra, So Ham, Hamsa. "So Ham means 'I am That'" I said to the children. Certainly we didn't go into more detail about this definition. How could I explain such a chant? I don't even understand it! "Hamsa means 'I am the swan.' Does anyone know what a swan looks like? Can anyone draw a swan?" Then 3 kids and an adult began to draw swans. It was silent. "This is the first time we've been in silence today!" exclaimed Bernadette. After several minutes, they revealed their masterpieces. Indeed, they were excellent drawings of a swan. The young woman was an artist who had drawn a very beautiful swan.

And as we concluded, a boy handed me a purple oragami swan with a white marking on it. "I made it. It's for you." Well, I was touched by this kind gesture. Purple is the color of the Royal Path, the Raja Path that Swami Purna shares with disciples. And the swan represents the shining soul - absolute purity. "Thank you so much," I said to him and then gave the kids a hug before I left. Later, I was told that everyone had enjoyed the satsang.

With love,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment